
I have been following Beth Moore's blog this week and it has been life changing. Her daughter Melissa (pictured above) is on a trip to Calcutta, India, with Compassion International. Here is an excerpt from her post today. To read the whole post click here. If you want to read all of her posts, click on the "home" button at the bottom of that post.
"We kneeled around [her extremely small shack in the slums] and listened to Kiran [the girl in the above picture with Melissa] tell her story through a translator. Her beaming smile and joyous spirit were enough to distract from the oppressive heat. She told us about how she loves to study, how much she loves Jesus, and how she wants to be a teacher someday.
And then she asked us, her guests, with a genuine smile on her face as though she was taking us on a tour of her mansion:
“How do you like my house?”
Can you remember what it felt like to break up with your first love? Okay, now multiply that by about a million. It was like a dagger in my heart. I didn’t just want to cry. I wanted to completely lose it. But I joined in with the rest of the team, who were likely feeling the same way, and we all said, “We love it. It is beautiful.”
And I thought of the times that I’ve told my husband I don’t want to have a certain couple over to our apartment because our dining room table isn’t big enough. I thought of the times that I’ve been “ashamed” to invite friends into our home because it isn’t fancy enough or we don’t have enough chairs or our sofa isn't comfortable enough. The countless times I've complained about the paint color on the walls."
2 comments:
Funny how we go to help others and God totally changes us (helps us). Really neat, I read a couple of her posts. Its amazing that we got to go together.
I just went over and read her post. I like what Bonnie says...how we go out to help others and they help us..oh so true. In some ways I feel a connection with this right in our own little jail ministry here. These children are so precious and see so much good through so much hardship. They inspire me,
Post a Comment