Monday, November 10, 2008

"GAB"bers

 

 
Once a month (during the school year) our church hosts a ladies GAB - Get Acquainted Brunch. :O) This past Saturday was our November one. They are always a wonderful time of meeting new people, visiting with old friends, prayer for those that request it, and delicious food. I have been a part of this ministry with Deanna Holsinger for approximately 14 years. And I am blessed every single time I attend. God always binds our hearts together like only He can. The second picture here is a smaller group because we figured out, after some visiting, that we are all "seconds", i.e. the second born in our families. It was another great GAB! Blessings, Jax

4 comments:

P-Dot said...

What a cool idea and I love the name. Mind if I borrow it?
In Seattle we used to do a monthly Sat. morning breakfast and I just loved that. I used to do the tables and I would plan months ahead to come up with something. We would have one of the ladies do a special lesson and it was always good to hear what someone had worked so hard to prepare.
My best one was about "stuff". I just cleaned out several junk drawers and as I pulled out things I likened them to the junk in our lives and hearts. I also gave the reason I was hanging onto it. Well, several of the ladies my age and older were practically crying with laughter because they thought they were the only ones. And you know me, when I get on a roll....
good memories.

CarJax said...

Hi Penni, Of course you can steal the name. :O)
We definitely do a lot of GABbing at ours. The target audience are the newbies to our church, but the "oldbies" are encouraged to come too. First we eat and visit informally, then we go around the room and each share a little about ourselves. This is so the whole group can hear from each person. If someone is going through a hard time and they feel led to share it, they share with us and then we stop right there and pray. There are several testimonies shared each time and it is so encouraging. We always play a simple name game (to help remember their names when we see them at church) and we lay out information on various Bible Studies, ministries, upcoming events, etc. Anyway, I love being a part of the GAB ministry. :O)

P-Dot said...

So what kind of name game do you play? I'm not good at thinking up this stuff so I gotta get it from the more experienced party animals such as yourself...hah!!!

CarJax said...

We think of a describing word that rhymes with our first name or starts with the same letter our name starts with. Ex. Wacky Jackie -or- Joyful Jackie. Then when we introduce ourselves that is the name we use. Kind of an ice breaker and name recognition game. Then the person right after you says your name and then her special name,"This is Wacky Jackie and I am Sharing Shirley." Hope that made sense.



Corrie ten Boom interview - Inspiring!

Awesome Study I did in 2009