Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Quilts, Quilts, Wonderful Quilts! (More added)

 
I have this quilt displayed over a bookcase. It was hand quilted by my Grandma (Dora) Mather. I cherish this one the most. Grandma and I were best of friends.

 
This quilt is also displayed over a bookcase. It was just purchased with birthday money from Mom & Dad and Papa & Nana Evans. It is hand quilted also and approximately 50 to 60 years old. The lady selling it said that it was given to her elderly friend by her friend's mother when she was going off to college. It is so beautiful!

 
Carl surprised me one wedding anniversary with this amazing quilt. He bought it from an antique shop in Missouri. It dates back to the 30's I believe. It is one of my all time favorite gifts from my sweetheart. I use it as a curtain over the sliding glass window.

 
Carl also brought back this quilt for me at the same time he brought the other one. It is lovely and is also special to me because it was made by Roy Weece's mother-in-law. I have it draped over a sofa table.

This is a quilt I have always enjoyed. Mom passed it down to me from her mom's (she was "Grandma Nana" to me) side of the family. It was completely hand pieced and quilted! I like to use it in the Autumn because of the wonderful orange coloring. Right now it is adding extra warmth on top of our bed.

This antique quilt is over 100 years old! My dear friend, Kathy K., knowing that I loved quilts recued it from her friend that didn't want it anymore and she gave it to me. Isn't it special!

This wonderful block is from a special quilt that KayLynn and her sis, LeeAnn, made for us for a wedding gift. We used it on our bed for many years. It was made with love and I love it!

I hope you enjoy admiring these beautiful pieces of history and art. I have a number of store bought quilts as well, but these are the ones that I cherish.

QUILT-MAKER
by Pauline Havard

In the little white house her husband built,
She sews the pieces of a patchwork quilt.
Three, she has made, just since November,
All rich colors and fine to remember --
The Wedding Ring pattern and the Evening Star
(Quilts that are lovely, as all quilts are
Which are sewn in the twilight in a firelit place).
Through bits of cloth she sees
his well-loved face
He keeps her company,
and she turns the seams
With a needleful of patience,
a thimbleful of dreams.

4 comments:

Christine said...

These are beautiful Jackie...I think I like your grandmas the best just because of the good memories it gives you of her! Thank you for sharing these....I have a precious quilt I treasure from you and Carl...the Christmas one I put out every Christmas. Hugsssssss sis and bro

P-Dot said...

Oh my stars!!! Those are such treasures. I know how much work was in them and at a time when women quilters didn't use a lot of short cuts that we use now. Wonderful collection!!!

Christine said...

Jax...I don't know if you have followed along with my friend Darlenes bible study, I did and it was really fun and uplifting. I don't know if you have time or not but she invited us to tag along on the next one..here is her message to us off my blog...thought I'd pass it off to you here. Hugs and hope all is well with the Alaskan family! ...

Darlene said...
I think that you and Jax should join our next Yes to God study!!! You guys would be great! It starts in January (after Christmas, thank goodness!!!!).
Thank you for always encouraging me as I share my heart, sweet friend!
PS I dont think I ever told you... I ordered my book from christianbook.com (a fave of mine)

CarJax said...

Hi Girls,

Thanks for admiring my quilt stash. It is a lot of fun to decorate with them.

Chris, thanks for the info from Darlene. She's such a sweetie. I'll see what my commitments are for Jan. and either lurk or do the study full on. :) Sounds good.



Corrie ten Boom interview - Inspiring!

Awesome Study I did in 2009