Monday, April 6, 2009

A Goodbye I Will Always Remember...


I'll never forget the time I flew down to San Jose from Anchorage to visit my Grandma (Dora) Mather whose health was failing fast due to cancer that had been diagnosed only a few short months previous. She was one of my very best friends (we were two sassy peas in a pod) and I grew up getting to see her all the time (until 8th grade) since we lived in San Jose during those childhood years. This trip back I was in my mid 20s. I spent the week with Grandma & Grandpa and during that time Grandma was released from the hospital to come back home for the last time. We spent so many precious moments together that week. I remember one of those special moments when she told me right there at her kitchen table, where I had celebrated so many wonderful holidays, that I was one of her shining stars. I in turn told her how much I loved her and how she had made such a huge impact on all our lives, showing her family the way to Jesus. Later, after Grandma's passing, Grandpa and Aunt Mary decided to give me her wedding ring. I was so honored. I looked at the band carefully and noticed there were tiny little stars etched in that cherished golden band. Thank you, Lord, for such a precious gift. Yes, the ring. But more so the gift of two loving Grandparents and especially Grandma, my bosom friend. Of course the day came when I had to catch my plane and say goodbye (one final time). Before I left she grabbed some apricot preserves out of her freezer to give to me. They were from her own tree. Fresh apricots are still my favorite fruit and I tried to keep this jar for as long as I could. I will always remember Grandma standing on the front porch waving goodbye like I'd seen her do a million times before. I can see her still. Standing there being brave for me and waving until Grandpa and I were out of sight. I will never forget that goodbye and I am looking forward to the reunion we will have again some day.

3 comments:

CarJax said...

This was originally posted on Facebook, but I wanted to put it on the blog as part of my journal. Thanks for all your sweet comments, friends, on Facebook.

Hugs, Jax

Christine said...

Great post, even the second time of reading it. Ya knows I already saw ya on FB.

Hugs

Bonnie said...

Jax, this was my first time to read your good bye. So many good memories growing up near Grandma and Grandpa. Thanks for sharing. Love ya!



Corrie ten Boom interview - Inspiring!

Awesome Study I did in 2009