
Remember that scene in August Rush where the boy hears music from everything, every street noise, every movement around him and thinks to himself (and to us), "The music is all around you, all you have to do is listen"? It felt like that for me this morning only my thought was more along the lines of, "God is all around me, desiring to reveal himself to me. All I have to do is listen." But it certainly wasn't the first thought I had.
It was one of those mornings where I wake up way before my travel alarm clock buzzer goes off and even before Carl's (and he gets up early!) Now what? Am I going to be able to go back to sleep? Um. Okay... No. I try to rest and manage to stay in bed with my eyes closed and the lights off until Carl leaves for work around 6:30 a.m. But still no sleep. I briefly think about dragging my laptop out and checking in with friends on Facebook or visiting some fun blogs. Oh yes, and checking my own blog to see how many friends have signed up for the give-away. So much fun just waiting for me! But I realize that I have someone to meet with this morning. He's ready to meet me right there in that Book on the night stand. So, I open my Bible.
What does God have for me today? Galatians. Read Galatians again. I've been learning and relearning so much from that book lately. He highlights certain books for me and I know that I need to read this one again today. It is such a good book. So much to chew on, pray over and ponder. One thing I glean is how He sets us free...free to love, not to indulge our selfish desires and become enslaved by them once again, but really free. Free to love.
Other things jump out too and God and I talk about them. That is to say, I pray over certain ideas He highlights for me and He speaks to my heart and leads me like only the Good Shepherd can. Then I'm done and it feels good. Okay, what next?
I have about an hour until time to get ready for work. My thoughts go back to the laptop. But the Shepherd is not done leading. I feel a 'No' to this fun option. 'But why? No one is up and Carl is gone, Lord. AND I put my time with you first, Lord.' I don't understand, but I ask again quietly, 'Why'? I listen and wait. "Your focus. You are easily distracted and the computer is becoming an idol that takes you away from me and your ability to focus on what I want to reveal to you. I have more to say to you. So much more, but you cannot always hear me." My heart instantly knows that He is right. But what is so amazing this time is that #1 - I listen, and #2 - I feel blessed. Blessed that He is a loving Father that gently convicts me of my sin...for my good. And I am amazed and blessed by a Father (the King of everything!) that desires and pursues a relationship with me - ME! That cannot be, and yet it IS true. And today that realization is not lost on me. I listen, obey, and realize that He wants to lead me so much more if I will let Him.
There are so many good things that take me AWAY from my REAL relationship with Him. Not my talking about Him, but my being with Him. Not just the check off list time, but enough time to really be close and hear Him more and more.
Thank you, Lord. When I am honest I really don't want more of the computer, more stuff, more me time, I want more of You. So much more. Thank you for confronting me about my idols, Lord. You are right. Good can be the enemy of the best. YOU are the best. Help me to listen!
9 comments:
P.S. The background to this is that I can overdose on certain things (the computer is one) and become imbalanced. Then my focus gets completely out of whack. He is helping me with that. Hugs 2 all, Jax
Wow Jax, thanks!! God has been saying the same thing to me. Good getting in the way of Best. Love you, Bonnie
beautiful wonderful post. I think we all struggle with this. See this post of Kimba's today. wow.
http://asoftplacetoland-kimba.blogspot.com/2009/02/building-my-priorities.html
I even had to give up the internet after 6 pm for Lent. God was pretty clear on the matter!!!!
Darlene
Great Post sista! Becky sent me a rally good video today on this very thing...I should post it...about Our time and how Satan wants us to be to busy for the real reason we are all here, and that is to serve Him and praise Him. I find myself buffeting my self daily and continuously getting my list in order for my days cuz I tend to go into over drive wanting it all. I think also we all have to remember and be aware of what season's we are in. I have had people question how I get so much done and do so many things? My answer was, I don't have children hanging on me right now. There is no way I was able to do what I do now with all of them home. Our first commitment is to our God, Husband and children...everything else happens when if those first things are taken care of.
I am and always have been a gleaner of information and ideas and I to have to pull myself away from this internet and rest my brain!...lol
Hugs and hope you guys are having a wonderful day and I will never feel like I have spent to much time over here with you!!!.,..lol hugssssss =O)
* really! ugh I hate typo's! Clean the rest up for me would ya...I'm just a mess!
Good post my Dear. It is so true. I may have to limit my computer usage too. I got rid of the TV so now maybe I am using the computer the way I did the TV.
Lots to think about here.
Hugs...
I really like this post, Jax. It is well-written and genuine. (I do get a little smirk out of the fact that I am reading about the computer being an idol of yours on your blog, which means you sat down at the computer to share your newfound knowledge...) But I totally get what you say about being in balance. These things are good, so long as they are not stealing our focus from God.
Keep the good stuff coming!
Hi Friends, Thanks for your notes and the wonderful insights. It's all about balance isn't it? Seems to be my constant prayer request whenever we share around the circle at work in the children's department. I think the insight that I am getting is to make sure the scale is tipped toward the side of pursuing God more than other things. I haven't heard Him telling me to stop getting on the computer, but to really be careful with HOW MUCH time and WHEN I spend time on it. So, the journey continues. Love U all bunches, Jax
ps....forgot to mention that I LOVED that movie. I watched it then I turned right around and watch it again. It was very intriguing.
Post a Comment